Welcome to the Literacy and Corrections website!
This site has been developed by AlphaPlus in consultation with the Ontario Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services and other adult literacy organizations. It is designed as a “one-stop shopping” location for information and resources that support:
- Teachers, literacy instructors and volunteer literacy tutors who provide basic literacy programs in correctional facilities and probation and parole offices operated by the Ontario Ministry of Community Safety and Correctional Services.
- Social workers, discharge planners and probation and parole officers who work with inmates and offenders in need of basic literacy programming.
- Correctional administrators and volunteer coordinators interested in establishing basic literacy programs for inmates and offenders.
- Potential volunteers and/or volunteer tutors who are interested in working with the offenders to help them with improving their literacy skills.
- Other correctional jurisdictions that are interested in literacy programming and resources.
This website identifies literacy resources, recommends tutor training programs and provides instructional tools and lesson plans. There are also links to community literacy resources and advocacy organizations in Ontario. The forum section allows literacy providers to share ideas and support each other.